Stepan EHS & S Specialist
Responsible to provide oversight and support to ensure that all equipment and processes meet business and regulatory requirements
· Drives continuous improvement in EHS&S activities, programs, behaviors and culture to reduce risk.
· Responsible for ensuring compliance with all Corporate EHS&S policies, OSHA/EPA/GAPED, and other EHS and all regulations.
· Supports the facility to insure effectiveness of EHS inspections of facilities, work areas and equipment.
· Participate and perform ergonomic assessments, job hazard analysis and (PPE) personal protective equipment assessments
· Identify and address unsafe acts, unsafe conditions, hazards, and environmental risks in work area(s) and evaluate the ensuing correction(s).
· Perform duties associated with the management of hazardous waste, to include but not limited to: labelling, inspections, and shipment
· Create EHS newsletters, toolbox, and other EHS publications
· Lead incident investigations, including follow-up actions as required
· Develop, manage and maintain EH&S programs, along with the EHS&S Manager, to include improvement, prevention and compliance.
· Facilitate and lead training events, EH&S activities, process improvements, visual controls and other ad hoc programs as appropriate.
· Audit outside contractor personnel working on-site are in compliance with all applicable regulatory policies/requirements.
· Gain knowledge and experience to function in all aspects of Environmental, Health & Safety, as well as Process Safety Management
· Evaluates Lockout Tagout and Electrical Safety process through audits and compliance evaluation
· Other EHS&S duties as assigned
· Identify and/or conduct EHS&S-related training to improve site EHS & S performance
· Serve as a resource to the production team as EHS questions or issues arise
· Active member of the Plant Leadership Team including active participation in Council and Committee meetings.
· Responsible for training programs and development of skills of direct report and all other employees on site relative to EHS&S needs and goals of the site
· Develops significant influence on site through all functions and is respected at all levels of the organization
· Identify and deliver cost reduction opportunities for EHS&S areas of responsibility.
Decision Making Authority/Mandates/Constraints
· Prioritize safety actions accordingly to meet site EHS&S goals.
· Decide on appropriate EHS&S training and development opportunities for their team and the site as a whole.
Other Considerations – e.g. working environment, physical effort
· At times must be prepared to work non-standard schedule (evenings and weekends) as well as participate in remote call-ins and advice over the phone/email
Associated working conditions of this position:
· Working environment: Indoors/Outdoors
· Typical Hours of work: M – F, 40 – 50 hours per work week
· Travel: Less than 10%
· Work space: Office/Plant
· Strong understanding and experience (minimum 3 years) of working in large scale industrial chemical process operations.
· College degree preferred but not required.
· Good Communicator, both written and oral
· Proficient in using Microsoft Office
If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to email@example.com