Kennesaw State University – Chemical Safety Specialist
Location: Kennesaw Campus
Posting Department: FAC – Environmental Health and Safety
Regular/Temporary: RegularHours per week:40
MVR Report: This position WILL require a satisfactory MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) as a condition of employment.
See http://www.usg.edu/hr/manual/motor_vehicle_use for policy guidelines.
P-Card: This position WILL NOT require a satisfactory Consumer Credit check as a condition of employment
Education: Bachelor’s degree Req.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Working knowledge and recognition of chemicals and the associated hazards
- Knowledge of Safety Data Sheet processes and protocol
- Able to obtain hazardous materials shipping, RCRA hazardous waste and Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) qualifications
- Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
- Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
- Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
- Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry, biology, environmental health, physical science or a related field
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- One (1) year of experience working in laboratory safety, environmental health and safety, environmental health, or other related field
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW OR INSTITUTION:
- Current, valid, and unrestricted Georgia driver’s license
- Able to obtain a chemical or lab safety certification (e.g. – CHMM, CCHO, CSP, etc.) within one (1) year of employment
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Certified Chemical Hygiene Officer (CCHO), or a comparable certification
Works collaboratively with staff, faculty, and safety committees to support the laboratory safety programs.
- Supports leadership with various elements of the laboratory safety programs
- Assists with inspections of academic and research laboratories to identify items of non-compliance related to use, handling, and the disposal of chemicals, biohazards, and other laboratory related hazards
- Approves chemical and biological materials for purchase
- Maintains chemical inventory and safety data sheets (SDSs) using department database
- Responds to chemical and biohazard spills and implement decontamination procedures
- Investigates accidents involving exposures or injuries that occur in the lab and/or are associated with chemicals and/or biological materials
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.